George Town, Penang is celebrating its third anniversary as a UNESCO World Heritage Site on the 7th of July 2011. The George Town Festival is a month-long festival scheduled in July to celebrate and applaud the arts scene and the heritage of Penang. Amongst the convivial array of events that we have lined-up for the month are dances, music concerts, plays, film screenings, inspirational talks for the youth of Penang and food festivals to name a few. The festival also boasts several exclusive works from prominent artists who are both locally and internationally acclaimed. Guests and audiences will be indulged in the copious fascinating events all congested in the duration of a month.
The following are the highlight of the festival :
- Peranakan Penang – Scheduled to be the Gala Opening for George Town Festival 2011. Peranakan Penang is a cultural and fashion showcase of the exquisite Peranakan jewelry paired with elegant evening dresses. The opening will feature international supermodel Ling Tan and ” Jewelers to the Stars”- Mouawad with Amee Philips, Venessa Diamonds, OE Fine Jewelry, the Elegance Club, Rafflesia – The Pearl Centre, Jonathan Yun, Fuan Wong and Lee Hwa Jewelry ( Singapore ).
- Pro Musica Workshop & Gala Concert - A gala-operatic concert featuring four outstanding international singers : Julie Mossay ( Soprano, BELGIUM ), Ines Madeira ( Mezz0-Soprano, PORTUGAL ), Enrico Casari ( Tenor, ITALY ) & Kittinant Chinsamran ( Baritone, THAILAND ) supported by students of the Master Classes which precedes the concert. The Pro Musica Workshop for the Advancement of the Voice Students from the region has been conducted for the last few years in Penang by eminent voice teacher Ms Loh Siew Tuan ( originally from Penang ).
- no.7 - A lecture/monologue performance produced and performed by Tan Kheng Hua ( of Phua Chu Kang ), assuming the role of Tan Tay Po, the seventh wife of the successful Chinese tycoon Cheong Fatt Tze.
- 12 Monkeys & More - A collaborative performance by Ghaffar Pourazar, Jitti Chompee and Zubin Mohamad ( Fulbright Scholar/Choreographer ) where each individual piece portrays the character and movements of a monkey, brought alive through each individual`s background and beliefs.
- Vertical Road – Akram Khan Company ( London ) will unveil a new major-company production entitled Verical Road in the George Town Festival 2011
We would like to request the pleasure of your participation in the festival. For additional information or any enquries, please head over www.georgetownfestival.com.
Leave a comment
Latest Blog Entry
Guided Heritage Tour
11am / 1.30pm / 3pm
Admission fee RM 12.00 per person.
14 Leith Street,
10200 Penang, Malaysia
Tel : +604 262 0006
Fax: +604 262 5289
Share With Friends